All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never before have numerous brand-new methods and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a short duration of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers countless individuals the opportunity to lower or remove their need for contacts or glasses .
Tv and radio ads are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and fast method to fix vision, however stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist make sure that you will be happy with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated client. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting referrals from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't Your Domain Name be tricked by fancy advertisements about a particular laser center. Choose the doctor, not the laser center. Discover who will in fact do your treatment, then inquire about that medical professional's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Choose a doctor who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a doctor doesn't know can hurt you.
4. Request details on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment problem rates. Discover another one if your physician will not tell you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
Ask exactly what measures are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly decontaminated, and insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized before your eye laser surgery to remove the risk of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
Be careful of ads pushing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount surgery is as great as a discount parachute.
Expect to see very well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as specific as each client. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
click to read more If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you probably are. You're not purchasing a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level click resources of nearsightedness is more than -11 approximately, implantable lenses will probably offer better vision than LASIK. Think about waiting till the brand-new lenses are readily available. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the benefits: for many individuals, a lifetime of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the vision of countless individuals worldwide.